- And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?
- And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.
- And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand;
- When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.
- And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear.
- Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.
- And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.
- And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.
- And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.
- And unto Enoch was born Irad: and Irad begat Mehujael: and Mehujael begat Methusael: and Methusael begat Lamech.
by Albrecht Dürer
"...I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me." - Cain